Sunday, December 14, 2008

Introductions Part Two

Today I am 38 years old. I'm not so thrilled, actually.

Lot's of dreams, lots of things to do. I feel a sense of urgency...

Where was I? Oh, yeah; Flyfishing.

I guided flyfishing for about 10 years, and worked in the ski industry in the winter. From March to late November, though, I ate/slept/breathed flyfishing. The year I did 150 days on the river broke me. I didn't want to see the river, didn't want to hear another customer say "man! You have the ultimate job!". When you make your passion your job, don't be suprised if it becomes just that: a job. It has taken me a few years, but I am ready to spend some time on the water again. I do love fishing, and I do love being on the water. But I was ready for a change.


So when I opened Fattees it was not as a passion, but to fill a need. I needed a job, and Salida needed a t-shirt shop.


But when I started screenprinting, it touched on my old art school days (I graduated with a minor in design). There's something satisfying about running your own business, making it without a boss. I love it.

1 comment: